[techtalk] Netstat weirdness

C. M. Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Wed Aug 16 10:24:15 EST 2000

Hi, Stephanie, and everyone else,

> But can't the routing table hold not necessarily the machine itself, but a router the machine knows about?

Oh, absolutely.  Specific host routes shouldn't be necessary, though I've tried
them just in case.  The .56 is not a valid address on our network, though,
which is what raised the red flag.

I agree that it sounds like the firewall is not routing the packets through.
This could either be a routing issue or a firewall issue.  I'm beginning to
wonder if I've left something out in ipchains that allows ipportfw to work
properly.

> but also, in answer to your question about how netstat gets out of sync with
> ifconfig, you can set stuff up explicitly with the "route" command.

Can you change the default routes that the OS sets up by itself that way????
Hmm... if so, that is way dangerous, but maybe worth a try.

Regards,
Caity