[techtalk] Using AOL with Linux???

Robert Wade feline at brokersys.com
Mon Aug 14 15:44:46 EST 2000

You misunderstood me, I said nothing about the gpl and was not referring
to that. I was saying that AOL makes it's proprietary systems inaccessable
to anyone who is not running their software, which is not available for
Unix as far as I know.

I'm aware that the gpl allows you to run proprietary non-open source/gpl
software along with/inside gpl software, however, there is no software
available, as I just stated, in Unix that will connect to AOLNet, open a
tcp connection, and make AOL's services available.

Actually, there are many aim clients for Unix, since AOL's toc standards
are open source. To name a few:

gaim (http://marko.net/gaim) License: GPL
caim (http://chimmy.shellux.net/software/) License: GPL
jaim (http://www.nbclub.org/~jharding/jaim.html) License: BSD
kaim (http://www.csh.rit.edu/~benjamin/benjamin/works/kaim/) License: GPL
laim (http://www.angelfire.com/biz/majutsu/laim.html) License: GPL

The list goes on and on (http://freshmeat.net/search.php3?query=aim)  with
curses/ncurses clients as well as gtk and qt clients.

Robert Wade