[techtalk] LILO >1024 cylinders?

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Sat Aug 12 13:03:36 EST 2000

(Hit the wrong button and only replied to Laurel. So again:)

> Another way to do this is to download the packages and then use dpkg to
> install it.  There's a web page at http://packages.debian.org that
> allows you to search for and download packages (make sure you're
> searching in potato/frozen or all, the default is slink/stable).
> I also find the web interface useful for finding the names of packages,
> since there isn't really a good command line package search tool besides
> grep.

I use apt-cache search <pattern> to find out about packages, and
apt-cache show <pack-name> to find which version it is. So apt-cache
search gtk gives you a list of all packages that mention gtk in their
names / descriptions, and apt-cache show mozilla tells me that mozilla
in unstable is M16.

HTH,

Britta

--
  /"\  . . . . . . . . . . . . . britta at linuxchix.org . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign     "Wer mit der Speckseite nach der Wurst wirft,