[techtalk] sendmail/Mailman Lag

Sheryl Weidner saska at noogie.com
Thu Aug 10 10:12:38 EST 2000

Jen,

I run Mailman 2.0b2 on one production server and 2.0b5 on the other
production server for my own lists.  crontab.in on my systems contains
entries for logging, archiving, mail to news gateways, etc. but doesn't
appear to have any direct impact on when a message is delivered, except in
the case of retrying previously bounced messages.

Mailman has a setting for each list which determines how many simultaneous
outbound connections can be open.  By default, this is set to "5" -
probably good for the load on your server, but not great when you have
hundreds of list members (as I do).  If your server's hardware/RAM/network
connection are sufficient to handle it, you can improve delivery time
somewhat by increasing the number of simultaneous deliveries.

Some of it is just "how mailman works" - From
/home/mailman/scripts/mailcmd:

# Create the message object
msg = Message.Message(sys.stdin)
# Immediately queue the message for disposition by qrunner, most likely in
# about a minute from now.  The advantage to this approach is that
# messages should never get lost -- some MTAs have a hard limit to the
# time a filter prog can run.  Postfix is a good example; if the limit is
# hit, the proc is SIGKILL'd giving us no chance to save the message. It
# could take a long time to acquire the lock.  This way we're fairly safe
# against catastrophe at the expense of more disk I/O.

This makes it look like the delay is intentional, as mailman creates a
database object out of the mail object.  So some of the delay may be
unavoidable.

Kind of rambly here... hope some of this helps. :)  It was a good excuse
for me to dig around a little and get a better handle on what Mailman is
doing...

-Saska

--
Saska - saska at noogie.com - http://www.noogie.com/~saska

"He's an affable enough screen presence, but you'd be
affable too if you could generate a lucrative movie
career by copulating with baked goods."
	-Paul Tatara on Jason Biggs