[techtalk] Goodby Windows, hello Linux!

Glen Strom gjstrom at myna.com
Sat Aug 5 19:12:19 EST 2000

At 03:59 PM 8/5/00 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi,
>My name is Mike Youngblood and I'm a newbie regarding Linux.  I have

Hello, Mike.

>1.  I believe the best plan for me is to install Mandrake on a second hard
>drive rather
>than to dual boot it from the same drive that now runs windows.  That way, I
>can learn to use Linux without screwing up my Windows OS and applications.
>As I understand it, all I need to do to manage this is to install LILO on
the
>first hard drive.  Right?  Wrong?  Also, is there a set of instructions for
>installing Linux on a second drive somewhere on line?

These Howto's should help:
- Multi-disk System Tuning Howto
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.html
- Lilo Multiboot Howto
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Multiboot-with-LILO.html

>2.  I believe I can install a copy of Windows98 in the Virtual Machine
>running in Linux on my second hard drive without problems (conflicts)
between
>it and Windows98 on my first drive.  Right?  Wrong?

I don't know the answer to that one.

>Some other issues:
>
>3. I know that Linux does not yet recognize DVD drives.  I have learned
>through
>information on various Linux sites that this doesn't matter because Linux
>will treat my DVD drive as a regular CD ROM drive.  My question when
>installing Linux, it will ask me what flavor of CD-ROM drive is in my
system.
> What do I answer?  Is there a generic CD-ROM specification I can use?

Most CD-ROM's use the ISO 9660 file system. You might find more information
in the Linux CD-ROM Howto http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO.html.

>4.  Where may I find out what hardware Linux supports? For instance, I
have a
>SyQuest 1.5 MB SCSI external drive and a UMAX SCSI scanner. I am also
running
>a Palm IIIxe.

Try these howtos:
- The Linux Hardware Compatibility Howto
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html
- Palm Howto http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/PalmOS-HOWTO.html

There is also the - Linux Hardware Database at http://www.linhardware.com/

Note: Since you're into graphics, you might like to have a look at a site
called "The Graphics Muse" at http://www.graphics-muse.org/.

This should keep you out of trouble for a while! ;->

Glen Strom
gjstrom at myna.com