[techtalk] BASH command return value

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Fri Aug 4 11:38:49 EST 2000

when you change \u to `whoami`, you get the 0 value because you are
executing `whoami` everytime you get a prompt, i think.  `whoami` has an
exit code of 0, successful, so that's what goes into $?.  \u, \h, \w, \W,
etc aren't executed, they're properties of the shell at that time.

that's the way i understand it, anyway.  you can get some weird stuff in
there.  I have old bash laying around, and all $? gives me is the exit
code of the export PS1... command, and it never changes.

-mandi