[techtalk] mp3 car player & cd changer unilink cabling

Shelly L. Hokanson guppy3 at home.com
Sun Apr 30 16:36:16 EST 2000

i posted this to a similar question on grrltalk earlier today -

about the mp3 machine - a couple of options to check out: maximum pc
magazine did up an article on how to make a mp3 machine suitable for
mounting in a car. their choice of parts was thru the roof in terms of parts
($$$), but it's linux based and will give you lots of ideas as to other
parts that are less expensive! i believe they even designed the database
that it uses. here's a link to it on the web:
http://www.maximumpc.com/route66/

also, i've been able to personally test out a tiny little barebones machine
called a "book pc" at work. it's integrated-everything but comes with linux
drivers (as well as all the other major OS's) - includes sound, video, 56k,
fast ethernet, tv-out, cd or dvd, and floppy. you add your hdd, cpu, and
memory. the one we tested used a ppga based socket 370 celeron chip - i'm
not sure what other options they offer. they're based on PC100 mainboards
and distributed by lots of companies (i've seen these mainboards in compaq
machines - they're not exactly high performance but they get the job done).
one place to get more info (though their web site is awful - broken english
and loads horribly slow) is www.pcchips.com. they list book pc's and "note
pc's" with chipsets other than the i810 but i can't get the pages to load to
give you more details! the other site that has more info (much cleaner and
easy to load but only lists the celeron based book pc) is
http://www.altonpc.com/product/bookpc/sysbb10cb2.shtml

they're quite small machines and probably more than suitable for an mp3
machine. i believe they cost around $175 without mem, cpu, and hdd.

i hope that helps!

shelly

techchron.com beta:
http://members.home.net/guppy3/techchron/index.html