[techtalk] BASH programming...

J Grant Boling gboling at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 20 03:27:11 EST 2000

I took line 8 straight from a HOWTO on Shell Prompt Programming, and modified it slightly so that it left just the tty? part,  it works fine from the command prompt but when I go to login with the new /etc/profile it tells me I'm missing a trailing ' " '  ...  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
~~~
# /etc/profile

# System wide environment and startup programs
# Functions and aliases go in /etc/bashrc

PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"
PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
cur_tty=$(tty | sed -e "s/.dev./(/)/\1\")

ulimit -c 1000000
if [ `id -gn` = `id -un` -a `id -u` -gt 14 ]; then
 umask 002
else
 umask 022
fi

USER=`id -un`
LOGNAME=$USER
MAIL="/var/spool/mail/$USER"

HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname`
HISTSIZE=1000
HISTFILESIZE=1000
export PATH PS1 HOSTNAME HISTSIZE HISTFILESIZE USER LOGNAME MAIL cur_tty

for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
 if [ -x $i ]; then
  . $i
 fi