[techtalk] Installing Linux on a second hard drive.

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Mon Apr 17 18:57:39 EST 2000

I see three potential areas this could improve:

1. I/O can be performed concurrently on each IDE bus -- assuming your IDE
controller has dual FIFOs. Some "cheap" third-party IDE controllers
implement a single FIFO and can not perform concurrent access to both ports.

2. Fragmentation is less likely to occur for dynamic Windows swap files.
However, you may as well use a static (fixed size) swap file if the
partition is dedicated to that use.

3. The biggest potential savings is likely in seek time. If the swap file is
on the same physical drive, the heads have to seek a potentially substantial
distance between memory swapping and regular disk I/O. Given the rates of
most modern hard drives, this equates to roughly nine milliseconds for
one-third stroke or as much as 30 to 40 milliseconds full-stroke. Compare
this with .008 millisecond access time for typical PC100 memory and you'll
quickly realize how "expensive" swap files can be.

Lothan