[techtalk] Installing Linux on a second hard drive.

Jeramia Ory ory at cosine.wustl.edu
Mon Apr 17 12:03:39 EST 2000

> With IDE devices, only one of the master/slave can talk to your computer at a
> time, on each channel. But your computer is able to talk to a device on the
> primary channel at the same time as it talks to a device on the secondary
> channel.
[snip]
> What I would probably do is set both hard drives to be the master device on
> their own channel, and then have the CD-ROM be the slave of whichever hard
> drive you feel is less important.

    I would second that.  Also, if you want a performance boost, make swap
partitions on each drive on opposite channels.  So if Windows is on the
primary master, put the swap on the secondary master, and put Linux's swap
partition on the primary master.  Because the system can access both drives
at once as long as they are on separate channels, you get a nice performance
boost under both operating systems.

Jeramia