[techtalk] Ether-Address and IP-Address

ALEX WRIGHT AWRIGHT at racalrec.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 12:25:33 EST 2000

Hi Michelle,

As you are aware every Ethernet device has a unique address (MAC address)*
than is globally unique. It is easy to find this address in packets on an
Ethernet, however, if the packets are routed at all, then that address is
striped out and replaced by the adapter address of the router.

Therefore if your computer is on the same routed segment of your Ethernet,
then using TCPdump to monitor the IP packets and filtering this for the
known MAC address of the stolen computer should reveal its IP address....
however, if the computer is somewhere else, you will not be able to find it.
(You will also have to know the MAC address of the stolen computer...).

Hope this is of some help, please reply if you need further explanation.

Alex.

* MAC -- Media Access Controller (I believe)

** Token ring also uses (different) MAC addresses for its adapters