[techtalk] installing nic for 1st time

Tania M. Morell Tania-Maria at rocketmail.com
Mon Apr 10 07:58:20 EST 2000

Hi,

I'm installing 3com Etherlink II card on a 2
computers.. one running Debian, the other running
RedHat.  I've never done this before..  :)

I know how to use ifconfig to configure the card ..
I've done it at work but it seems that my puters at
home can't "see" the new ethernet card.  I know they
are compatible cards (3c503 etherlink II).  At work, I
can type "ifconfig -i" and I get eth0 and lo.
At home I only get lo.
My problem is that I'm looking for "eth0" under /dev
but it's not there.  I compared with work and it isn't
under /dev/ either so I'm assuming it shouldn't be
there.  So how do I configure a nic? And can someone
explain where linux is getting 'eth0' from if it isn't
under /dev/?

Any help I can get it VERY much appreciated.

-T