[techtalk] no modem etc

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Fri Apr 7 11:13:55 EST 2000

dynamix at iinet.net.au wrote:

> I have one problem and one question..
> the easy question first...
> If I go to shutdown i get asked for root's password.( i have set my user
> self as super user equiv).obviously a security feature..........
> BUT why can ANY user just go CTL-ALT-DEL and the machine will end
> processes
> and dismount etc and reboot....one can just hit the power button once it
> cycles out of the OS ....???Im a bit puzzled at what seems such an
> obvious way to beat security....
> Ive tired it on at least 4 different distro's....
> puzzled.............

There is no way the operating system can prevent someone at the
console from shutting down the computer.
Pulling the power cord, clipping the cable if need be, hitting the
machine with a sledgehammer - all of these work.

But requiring the user to be root to shutdown from a terminal IS a
security feature - if Joe Average gets a shell account on your
machine, and SSHs or telnets in, he can't shut it down from under
you UNLESS he is also root.

Unix-based systems are designed to be multi-user, over multiple
terminals. The special terminal 'console' has overriding powers.
On PC hardware, the keyboard and monitor plugged into the PC that's
running the OS is the console.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman
http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/