[techtalk] newbie mouse weirdness

Luke Woods woodzy at australia.edu
Sun Apr 2 16:35:58 EST 2000

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Sarah Hollings wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Can anyone offer any clues to some bizarre mouse behaviour?  Any help
> appreciated!
>
> My system is a clunky old Pentium 133, with a serial mouse (on ttyS0 I
> think), and serial modem (on ttyS1).  I have recently installed Corel
> Linux (Debian with a slightly modified KDE desktop) and it's mostly
> working...
> I have no Win or MS os on the machine at all, and although it has a PCI
> network card, it's standalone right now.
>
> The weirdness is:  Every so often I boot up and have a mouse cursor, but
> no mouse operation.  Right from when the x-server starts up (before KDE
> displays its login dialog) the X cursor is no go.
>
> I checked /dev and it seems there is no "mouse" file/device in there
> when this happens.  The plot thickens - no-one leave the room!

	Hmm.  If you do/did have /dev/mouse symlinked to /dev/ttyS(?),
then it shouldnt be sporatically disapearing.  Although im yet to check
out Corel Linux (And dont exactly intend to..), and idea would be to maybe
check out your RC scripts, and see if there is anything there that is
creating / deleting the /dev/mouse symlink (Which is f**cking silly, but
it would explain intermittent cases of your /dev/mouse disapearing.

	Also find out if your XConfig is actually using /dev/mouse or
explicitly /dev/ttyS{YMMV}.

Regards,
Luke Woods

$v="vbDyzeppxIIACJIECCAIHCEKDIAIGFIEIDIKEBAICCCCIEBA";$r=$a . $v;while($r)
{$q=chop($r);if($q=~/[a-z]/){$q=~y/b-x/a-y/;print $q;}else{if($q=~/K/){
print "\n";}else{$q=~y/A-J/0-9/;print @r[$q];}}}