[techtalk] newbie mouse weirdness

Sarah Hollings sez at powerup.com.au
Sat Apr 1 16:08:32 EST 2000

Hiya,

Can anyone offer any clues to some bizarre mouse behaviour?  Any help
appreciated!

My system is a clunky old Pentium 133, with a serial mouse (on ttyS0 I
think), and serial modem (on ttyS1).  I have recently installed Corel
Linux (Debian with a slightly modified KDE desktop) and it's mostly
working...
I have no Win or MS os on the machine at all, and although it has a PCI
network card, it's standalone right now.

The weirdness is:  Every so often I boot up and have a mouse cursor, but
no mouse operation.  Right from when the x-server starts up (before KDE
displays its login dialog) the X cursor is no go.

I checked /dev and it seems there is no "mouse" file/device in there
when this happens.  The plot thickens - no-one leave the room!

I am wading thru the how-to's but nothing seems to address this, or if
it does I am just not seeing it.

Sarah

--
We are no other than a moving row
of Magic-Shadow shapes, that come, and go