[techtalk] Cable Modem Issues

Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Sep 30 09:05:29 EST 1999

> > I would get DSL if it was available in my area! <sigh>
> > Of course, in reading through the agreement, they only specify
> > Windows and Mac OS's as the ones they support. <sigh> I'll have to
> > see if they'll even connect to a Linux box.

Technically no.  But like I said in a previous response, they only have to
*see* win98 or mac to install the stuff for you.  What you do when the
installer is gone doesn't matter (well, and when they send out tech
fixers... they only do windows/mac.  But if ou gripe enough on the phone
tech support line, they'll eventually connect you to someone with a clue.)
I have to say that I wasn't 100% or even 90% satifsfied with RoadRunner.
We had frequent outages in my area, and they'd all too frequently change
my iP address while I was logged on or doing something on line, which
comp,etely lagged m machine and I had to restart it to get the updated IP.
And usually I still had the same one, which means there was something
*else* wrong with it.  But I'm masochistic enough to sign up for it again
here in Chapel Hill when they bring it next year.  We're still waiting for
BellSouth to test our phone line to see if it's ADSL-ok.  (Which it
probably isn't because we're probably too far from the main center and our
apartment complex's wiring may not be compatible with ADSL.  Whatever.)

Conni

So take those photographs and still-frames in your mind; hang it on a
shelf in good health and good time.
			-Green Day

http://www.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Gulf/5817/