[techtalk] Re: [grrltalk] cool commands

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Thu Sep 30 02:11:15 EST 1999

Crossposted to techtalk, let's resume discussion there

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Kristine Budde wrote:

> Best of tail (or head) is the option "-f". If you watch a growing file
> (e.g. log file), it always shows the current last (first) lines. You can
> terminate by hitting ctrl-c.

another thing I do rather frequently, is pipe the output of a tail -f
command through a grep command, especially on system logs... that lets me
watch for specific log entries pertaining to, say, named, without being
annoyed by all the crap sendmail spews in there.

also real nice if you want to have several windows open, each monitoring a
specific daemon.

-Ian

--
<cosmo> wow, this is kinda nifty. the win98 protocol stack is
like a chinese finger puzzle, twist and turn in the right places,