[techtalk] Kernel upgrade for Red Hat 6.0

Beverly Guillermo bguill at toad.net
Wed Sep 29 23:40:15 EST 1999

I recommend backing up everything in the source file, just in case
something goes wrong.

tar zcvf old-kernel.tar.gz /usr/src/linux/*

> - i moved the tarball to /usr/src/ , and untarred it, and then realized
> that it was expanding into the directory "linux", and since there was
> already a symlink called "linux" which pointed into a dir for the older
> version, i wound up with a mixture of stuff from the old and new versions.
> oops.  so the safest thing to do is probably to create a new
> empty dir, put
> the tarball in there, and untar it there, and then move it to where you
> want it.  (this is probably a good idea in general when untarring any
> tarball...)

here's my naming convention: =)
[root at stalefish]
(/usr/src/)$ mv /usr/src/linux-2.2.11 /usr/src/linux-2.2.12
[root at stalefish]
(/usr/src/)$ mkdir linux-2.2.12
[root at stalefish]
(/usr/src/)$ tar xzvf linux-2.2.12.tar.gz linux2.2.12
[root at stalefish]
(/usr/src/)$ rm linux
[root at stalefish]
(/usr/src/)$ ln -s linux-2.2.12 linux

> - when going through the possible modules to include, unless you're short
> on disk space, it's probably a good idea to just include everything you
> think there's a chance you might conceivably someday want.  if
> something is
> compiled as a module, it won't slow down your kernel when it's not in use.
> i didn't think i'd need IP aliasing, which allows a machine to have more
> than one IP address, so i didn't compile that in, but then i realized that
> to do IP masquerading, i needed to give my linux box a "real" IP address
> *and* an address on the private network.  so i did need IP aliasing after
> all.  so i had to go back and recompile the kernel...

It's a good practice for anybody to put all the modules in... however, if
you DO know all about your system, I recommend really configuring it.  One
of
my kernels is only 394Kb and it loads up without a lot of delay because I
took
stuff out that I didn't need. ;)

Beverly