[techtalk] mail command

Samantha Jo Moore sjmoore at thetahoegroup.com
Wed Sep 29 17:38:15 EST 1999

Cat,

> I am having some trouble with the 'mail' command.  I am trying to send
> (from the command line) a mail to an address that is of the form:
> username at at.cis.hostname.com.  Username and hostname are substitutes, but
> the at.cis. is literal.
>
> Both mail and sendmail are switching the address to
> 'username@@.cis.hostname.com', and the mails are being rejected because my
> email server can't find .cis.hostname.com.  I've looked in my mail
> documentation, and cannot figure out how to get the at.cis taken
> literally.  I have also tried putting \s in front of the @, a, and t, and
> combinations of the three -- no luck.
>
> The mail command has to be from the command line.  Any ideas?

The first questions to ask are:  Have you tinkered with the sendmail
configuration files?  The file /etc/sendmail.cf contains a set of
directives which cause sendmail to parse and transform addresses
which could be the problem you state above.  I won't go into the
intricacies of this configuration file because 1) it's waaaaaay too
complicated to explain in an e-mail and most importantly 2) I don't
understand it well enough to be of any use.

The best option here is to start with a fresh (installation fresh) file
and see if this does anything different.

Cheers,
Samantha Jo Moore
CTO - The Tahoe Group, Inc.
http://www.thetahoegroup.com