[techtalk] partitions etc

Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Sun Oct 31 07:48:32 EST 1999

On Oct 30, Laurel Fan conjectured:

> Excerpts from linuxchix: 30-Oct-99 [techtalk] partitions etc by
> Lighthouse t. D. Sun at one
> > Is it possible to format a partition of an existing drive?
>
> Yes.  The mkfs command takes the device name or mount point of a
> partition as an argument, for example:
>
> mkfs -t ext2 /mnt/dosc

That will format /mnt/dosc as ext2 (linux native?), right?  That's what I
want to do.  Does it matter what order the partitions are in?  I mean,
what cylinders etc they start on.  I think windows lives on the first 3
gb, then linux has the second 5.  (After I'm finished, it will all be
LInux.)

> (Don't paste that, read the manpage for mkfs, since that might not be
> what you want :)). I would guess that the win98 installer would be able
> to do this as well, if in fact you wish to put win98 back on it.
> However, I'm not sure it won't try to eat the whole disk...

Heh... Putting win98 back on isn't an option unless I can find the product
code somewhere.  I loaned the disk and book to a friend, who returned the
disk, but not the book, which had the original product thingy on it.  And
now neither of us is even on the same side of the country.  :P

Conni
awake too early on a Sunday morning.

--
Would now be an appropriate time to say that you disturb me?
			-Ford

http://www.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Gulf/5817/