[techtalk] partitions etc

Stephan Zaniolo eaglefeather at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 30 20:01:13 EST 1999

	As far as the partitioning goes, I use Partition Magic 4.0. (5.0 has just
been released)  It's a win program, but it handles Linux partitions nicely
(so long as you're not trying to modify the partition the kernel is on).
(PM costs about $70 US or about $30 US for the upgrade)  Product info at:

	http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/index.html
	http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetail.html

	I think you can also use fdisk for this purpose, and I don't know if Red
Hat's Disk Druid program is available after the initial install, but my
understanding is these programs don't preserve the information that already
exists on the partition.  PM does, that's why I use it.  (Someone please
correct me if I'm wrong)

	For the networking, I have a similar setup (two Intel boxes with RH 6, one
modem, 2 NICs).  Check out the IP-Masquerade HOWTO at:

	http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html

	Also, if you're not familiar with Linux security issues, you might want to
check out the Beginner's Guide to Armoring Linux at:

	http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/linux.html

Hope this helps,
Stephan