[techtalk] High speed access -- pros and cons

Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Oct 28 15:10:14 EST 1999

On Oct 28, Walt conjectured:

> At 03:44 PM 10/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Holy moly, $800 for setup... I guess if that's what it takes to get cable
> >in a rural area.  I also didn'tknow that youc ould get cable connections
> >at 512k both ways... mine goes extremely fast for dl, and is something
>
> Clarification: $200 install, $600 modem (not that that's cheap!)
> Also, I've gotten speeds (twice (jk) :-) of 70-80k per sec. 60k is
> not at all uncommon.

Holy jeez!  ROadRunner had a 100 dollar install, which included the 70
dollar deposit on the modem and the 3Com 509c which I got to keep after we
moved out of their service area (but Time-Warner NC claims that they will
have the Raleigh area served "first quarter 2000' with RR.  We can
hope...) and it was 39.95 a month (or so)
The reason we haven't gotten BellSouh ADSL is because a) they haven't told
us if our line is even servicable and b) it's too expensive.  ISDN is even
*more* expensive.  SO we're using UNC dialup until cable modems come.

Conni
procrastinating.

--
So take those photographs and still-frames in your mind; hang it on a
shelf in good health and good time.

http://www.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Gulf/5817/