[techtalk] Flatscreen monitors

Amanda Owens amowens at radonc.duke.edu
Mon Oct 25 14:28:44 EST 1999

I doubt there's much 'neutral' literature out there - most people who
research this sort of thing are going to have an agenda on one side of
the arguement or the other, and both sides can take the same data and
argue whatever they want to be 'the truth' with it. Unfortunately.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that since there's not much you can do
about it in this day and age, and live in a relatively comfortable manner
while engaging in a half-ways technical carreer, why worry? Medicine
keeps getting better and better, thus hopefully in 10 years they'll
already be able to fix whatever problems I have because I spent the last
10 years in front of a 21" CRT.

Everything in the world is bad, if not done in moderation. Water can kill
you, oxygen can kill you... Too much of anything and you're going to have
problems. (I mean, more than 5 minutes of any M$ product, and my stomach
gets qweasy...) But if you sit more than 3 feet from the television, try
not to live under telephone/electrical poles (or over buried more buried
cable than it takes to get to your house), and don't stand in front of
the open door of your refrigerator too terribly long, I imagine you're
going to be just as well off as the rest of us.

Now, there *are* folks who are always more sensitive to such things as
others (or else Jenn wouldn't have brought the subject up in the first
place). Minimizing exposure (like one might not stand *right* next your
microwave while it's on, or the nurse hiding behind an iron wall while
she takes your x-ray) is always a good idea. Especially if you already
have problems. Who knows? 10 years down the road, our monitors *might*
kill us. But I like to have enough faith in medical research that they'll
figure it out before it's too big of a problem, and then they'll figure
out how to fix it so it won't be a problem at all.

(of course, I have to believe in medical research - that's what I do for
a living. ;)

Mur!