[techtalk] Rising RAM prices (was: Would like advice on building system)

J B griffin2020 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 20 15:05:22 EST 1999

<SNIP>
I've heard theories saying that everyone is upgrading their old PCs to get
ready for y2k, and of course, they're upgrading to the most modern stuff,
K6-2, P2 and P3 processors, which require PC100 ram, so if the people are
willing to pay twice what the ram normally costs, why not raise the
prices...
<SNIP>

The sad thing is that ALL ram is now built to PC100 specs...when they test
it, if it is not OVERSPEC they bump it down to SDRAM.  What I am saying here
is that you can occasionally (actually more often than not) get away with
using non PC100 RAM at a 100MHz system speed.  Just make sure that you get a
good name brand (Kingston, Crucial, etc).  I have several friends using
66MHz SDRAM on high end machines.  One friend has 512MB of SDRAM running on
a PIII/600 system....no ill effects seen, it is EXTREMELY fast.