[techtalk] Secure web server...

Walt pippin at fred.net
Fri Oct 15 22:46:22 EST 1999

At 07:13 PM 10/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Walt wrote:
>
>> There may be some slight database overhead (i.e., time users
>> spend logged-in must be kept track of for monthly billing.)
>
>logged into the box, logged into the website, or logged into a nationwide
>dialup network <G> (I've done the last one, so it's not *that* far
>fetched, but I doubt it's what you really meant :) )

Sorry, meant logged into my web server. (Prob with 10-15 min idle /
auto-disconnect time)

>I'm not a big fan of using older hardware for production, 24/7 servers
>mostly because stuff does break eventually. If you've got a 486 or pentium

Agreed. My time is at a premium (as this is only an offshoot of our printing
business) therefore the lower maintenance, the better!

And I have a feeling this corporation is going to be pretty
high-maintenance already. . .

Walt

-~

    Those who uphold the law must be wiser and calmer than those
    who seek to repudiate it.
                        John Lindsay