[techtalk] Question for the group

Brian Engle bengle at fti-net.com
Thu Oct 14 14:31:40 EST 1999

http://www.ciac.org/ciac/CIACVirusDatabase.html

UNIX			AT&T Attack virus
UNIX              Ebola

and as someone already stated, bliss for the linux platform, not sure if
it's distribution dependent or kernel dependent, or even if it exists, but I
have seen references to it, doubtful that it's really bad

and as for program policies/file permissions, windows nt uses the same file
permissions, I believe the majority of the virii for windows nt actually
take advantage of the windows API (i.e.. back orifice, which I know isn't
really a virus, but play along with me for a minute) anyway, the problem
with windows is that security and user friendliness are at opposite ends of
the spectrum...MS has gone for user friendliness and that's what bit them in
the butt.

for example, restrict a user's access to control panel so that they can't
alter the network configuration, even restrict their access so they can't
right click on Network Neighborhood and change the network configuration,
all they have to do is access the windows help file, look up network
configuration, and it gives them a link to alter the network configuration,
so now what, you disallow the user access to the windows help file? I've
never been able to access anything on my system from a man page....

Brian Engle
bengle at fti-net.com