[techtalk] Netscape and Java

Ingrid Schupbach ingrid at miranda.org
Wed Oct 13 17:21:48 EST 1999

> By far my biggest gripe about using Red Hat 6 is that I have never
> managed to get Java running in Netscape, ie as soon as Netscape (4.51
> and 4.61) smeels Java, it bombs out. Well, sometimes it can take up to a
> minute to crash, but crash it will every time it comes into contact with
> Java.

Hi!

I'm new here, and I'm certainly no techie, but I'm having the same problem
you are - maybe with two brains we can get there.  Unfortunately I haven't
had any luck in eliminating the bug.  But I'm wondering if maybe it could
have something to do with the window manager.  What do you use? I use
Gnome and java applets kill Netscape all the time for me.  However, my
boyfriend also has Red Hat 6 but he uses XVWM (dunno what version) and
he's never had any problems.

Well, at least now you know you're not alone. :)

(Btw, in case anyone's curious who the heck I am, my name's Ingrid and I'm
a second year law student.  I've had "casual" contact with Linux for about
a year and a half, but two months ago I finally got frustrated enough with
NT that I committed and got rid of Windows nonsense and just installed
Linux on my machine.)

Ingrid