[techtalk] Is there a Kill -8, too?

Cat cschmitt at polaris.umuc.edu
Wed Oct 13 14:43:34 EST 1999

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Just This Girl wrote:

> I'm afraid I don't really know the answer to that one. I've never had a
> kill -9 *not* work on a pid.

I have.  You know how if you do a ps -ax you can see what state each
process is in?  Normally, they are in N state, sometimes R state.  I'm not
exactly sure what the letters stand for, but I think it is Normal and
Reset.  I've done kill -9 on PIDs where the process then went into D
state, but stuck around forever.  Often, if I tried to kill the process
again at that point, it would go into Z state, which I think is Zombie.
I'm probably propagating false information here about what the states
mean, but the change in states I have seen may times.

Cat