[techtalk] Is there a Kill -8, too?

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 13 14:29:18 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 13-Oct-99 Re: [techtalk] Is there a K.. by Jane
Susi at mail.ee
> I'm sorry, if I bother you with a really silly question,
> but...what shall I do, if this "kill -9" just does'nt work?
> Not very long time ago it just happened, so what to do for
> avoiding such situation??

That's not supposed to happen.  If you have permission to kill the
process (ie. you are root or the user that owns the process) and kill -9
doesn't work, it's probably a bug and there's probably nothing you can
do about it.  If your shell has builtin kill, you can try the real kill
(probably /usr/bin/kill).