[techtalk] newbie questions

Karl-Heinz Zimmer khz at snafu.de
Wed Oct 13 06:58:49 EST 1999

On 10/13/99, 8:37:02 AM, Laurel wrote:

> > i've run out of hard drives (i've got win98, NT4, redhat 6.0,
> > and mandrake 6.1)... wondering if i can dual boot any of the
> > linux ones (not with windows).

> Yes, you can.  Just stick them on different partitions and
> configure LILO appropriately.  You can also dual boot multiple
> kernels on the same install
[...]
> You can minimize the wasted hd space by putting sharable stuff
> like /home on its own partition and mounting it in every distro.

This is a very good proposal!
Might i suggest also putting /opt on it's own partition?

I did it because i store GIMP and StarOffice there and it works
pretty well: Debian (my distri for normal work), Halloween (derived
from Red Hat), SuSE and easyLinux can access /opt fine.

Others put the /var on a separate partition because by doing so
one can easily take care for the space: when there's no free space
on /var Linux will probably stop working.
(Of course the /var partition should *not* be shared among your
 distros but there should exist one for each distribution.)

Best greetings,

Karl-Heinz
--
K.-H. Zimmer     *     Hamburg     *     Germany