[techtalk] For the not so techie Linux users

Norma Armstrong narmstr at netzero.net
Tue Oct 12 16:41:01 EST 1999

I thought I'd share this command. It helps those especially if you can't get
your modem to work under linux (assuming you don't have a winmodem). I
assume you have already used the RedHat Control Panel to assign the correct
com port to /dev/modem - for example mine is on Com 3. Okay to check out
what IRQ Linux assigns to Com 3 in this example you should type at the
command prompt "setserial -g /dev/modem". This will give you info about your
modem like the IRQ Linux assigns to it. In my case the default is "IRQ 4".
That is the default IRQ assigned to Com port 3 is 4. Well this can cause
problems if your modem is not on IRQ 4 (mine is at IRQ 5). Like for example
you take forever to connect or when you connect everything runs real slow,
etc. Well it is an easy problem to fix. Type again at the command prompt
"setserial /dev/modem IRQ 5". Your problem is now fixed. Oh by the way this
is one problem that wasn't completely explained to me. I had to find the
answer in a newsgroups. Maybe by now the HOW-TOs have this info but stuff
like this can be explained better to the newbie. I hope this has helped
somebody. If it's too confusing I'm sorry. I'm still an Intermediate Linux
user and still have alot to learn.

                       Regards,
                              Norma