[techtalk] request for ideas

Gail Allinson gailla at jps.net
Mon Oct 11 20:34:19 EST 1999

Deb Richardson wrote:

> All suggestions, comments, ideas are appreciated.

I think the number one thing a beginner needs to know starting out is
where to look for help. This starts with where you might find it on your
install CD and then once you install, where you might find help on your
HD.  I remember that didn't know about looking in /usr/doc or typing
"man" until someone told me.  I've heard so many beginners say, "I'd be
happy to RTFM if you'd only tell me where it is!"

Next, in order of need or desire: mounting drives including CD, floppy,
and Windows drives, connecting to the Internet, how to get sound, how to
print (if their distro doesn't set it up properly on install), how to
install and uninstall from an .rpm (if their distro is rpm based), and
how to compile a program.

I have found those things to be the biggies for most of the newcomers I
work with. There are a lot of things that folks need to learn besides
that, but those seem to be the ones they need help with in the first
week or two. Once those things are up and running most folks seem to
calm down and take it one step at time without feeling so frustrated.

Gail