[techtalk] request for ideas

Wendt,Andrew awendt at neo.rr.com
Mon Oct 11 19:47:32 EST 1999

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, you wrote:
>mount /mnt/floppy
>cd /mnt/floppy
>ls -l
>(Eject floppy, put in another one)
>ls -l
>(Cached contents of the first floppy come up, continue as above....)
>
>So, I continue to allege that the PC hardware floppy model is horribly
>broken.  Thank God almost all other removable media can have the correct
>conversation with the OS....

What is it you'd want the floppy drive to tell the OS?

The OS can definitely tell when the floppy has been ejected or the door
opened... That's what the diskette change signal is for. We were talking about
broken hardware in the first place, where the diskette change signal was not
working.

If you do DIR A: twice in a row, changing disks between, DOS will realise the
disk has been changed and not use the cached info. Just because Linux does not
do this and relies on it's own `mounting' mechanism to tell when the floppy has
changed doesn't mean the PC hardware floppy model is horribly broken.

TTFN