[techtalk] request for ideas

Vinnie Surmonde drachen at george.he.net
Mon Oct 11 12:44:31 EST 1999

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, lisa daly wrote:

> I must disagree with this.  GUI's are great if you
> don't care what's going on under the hood.  But to
> truly learn linux, you need the command line.  It's

more than that, there are times when a GUI is positively the wrong thing
to use -- i.e. I have friends who are blind and run linux with a braille
terminal-- now while I"ll be the first to admit I have no idea about these
things <g> I don't see a way that a GUI would be better under this
circumstance, and a lot of reasons it would be worse :)

or with cheap hardware

Plus, the idea that GUI == easier is...hmm..not exactly wrong..a GUI can
be easier under many circumstances, but a GUI is not necessarily easier
under all circumstances. I've yet to meet a GUI I like for more than
editing (and then it's vi and pico, which are only nominally gui)  and
keeping my terminal windows sorted (alt-tab is nicer than alt-F1, not to
mention it's nice to have more than 12 terminal windows up :) and being
able to stick things side-by-side to compare them is nice, rather than
having to tab around) and web browsing (mostly because there are a number
of pages that are positively *useless* without graphics, and a number more
which just don't parse well in lynx, both of which are limitations put on
us by annoying web designers, not by hardware/software/user limitations)

Not to mention some people just have problems with that sort of visual
input, and do better at a command line (me, for instance..I think it might
be related to the dyslexia, but I have no idea, really..)

Vinnie
--
Reality is a formality, an agreed upon set of lies -- J.D. Catron
Obligatory pathetic website at http://george.he.net/~drachen