[techtalk] request for ideas

Jim Browning jbrowning at brianeberstein.com
Mon Oct 11 14:49:25 EST 1999

Just This Girl wrote:

> I rather like the security of having to mount/umount, and having to have
root
> access to do so. It prevents suspect users from inserting boot disks that
could
> have undesired consequences.

Now I'll really show my lack of Linux familiarity, but are you saying that
"mounting" the drive performs the same function as an autostart ("winspeak")
function? So that a boot disk inserted into an automounted drive would
automatically execute? The manner in which I'm accustomed to thinking of
"mounting" a drive is for the operating system to be instructed to become
aware of its existence (like the concept of DOS "mounting" a double-space
compressed drive) - but not execute files/programs on that drive until
instructed to do so.