[techtalk] Upgrades (and KDE problem) under Red Hat 6.0

Caitlyn M. Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Sun Oct 10 12:15:33 EST 1999

Hi, everyone,

Hope y'all are having a great weekend.

I've done some upgrades to my system, moving Netscape up to 4.7, which seems
to have fixed the lockup problem I had in Messenger under 4.61 (yay!), and
KDE up to 1.1.2.  I did KDE by installing the RPMs that come with RH 6.1,
and also have both QT 1.44 and 2.0.1 installed using the RH 6.1 RPMs.  KDE
is definietly getting prettier, and all is OK except system sounds.

My sound card is still working, BTW.  I am listening to a Steve Reich CD
using kscd as I type.  The mixer controls the volume OK.  Every multimedia
widget I test works great, except system sounds.  They are dead, even though
"System sounds enabled" is checked.  I've tried changing .wav files, and
that's not it.  I'm wondering if there is some other piece I need to
upgrade.  Any ideas?

I know doing the full upgrade to 6.1 will likely fix this, but I'd like to
wait the couple of weeks until the commercial copy is in the stores for a
number of reasons.  So... I'd like to get this working under 6.0.

Thanks bunches in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,
Caity