[techtalk] Re: [grrltalk] Kernel & rpm

Jamie Walker jamiew at clear.net.nz
Sun Oct 10 20:59:04 EST 1999

Victor Stratan wrote:
>   Here is some problem i encountered:
> I downloaded the 2.2.12 kernel source and compiled it
> and installed it. Everything is ok, but when i whant
> to install another RPM it says that it needs
> kernel-2.2.12-14.rpm
>
> Well I know that I did not installed the kernel rpm,
> because i compiled it. The Question is what do i do
> from the rpm point of view ?

[message shifted to the techtalk list, and copied to you just incase
you're not subscribed there]

The --nodeps parameter to RPM tells it to ignore dependencies when
installing a package (ie, it doesn't check whether the packages required
by the RPM you're installing are actually available). You'll often have
to do this if you've compiled packages by hand rather than installing
RPM versions if another RPM wants that package. Best used with caution,
when you're sure the package needed is on your system.

jamiew at clear.net.nz