[techtalk] Warning: Newbie... 1st installation, with networking issues

Deanne dkf1 at cyberus.ca
Sat Oct 9 19:26:37 EST 1999

So, I managed to get Linux to recognise my ALN-101 NIC, by installing
without it and then adding it afterwards, but I've got some weirdness
happening when I try to get out onto my own LAN, or to the net.

My network is connected to the internet via ADSL on a Win98 box running
Sygate.  I couldn't get the Linux box to find the Sygate DHCP server, so I
hardcoded the IP, mask, gateway & name server.

I can't ping or traceroute, but if I traceroute to, say, www.linuxchix.org
the name is resolved to the IP (so I must be reaching the name server
outside my network, no?), but the traceroute never gets anywhere.

Any thoughts as to what my next step should be?

Deanne