[techtalk] Setting up my Mitsumi 4802TE CDRW under Redhat Linux 6.0

Norma Armstrong narmstr at netzero.net
Thu Oct 7 10:13:41 EST 1999

Hi first of all I'm new and I'd like to say that this list is wonderful :)
Anyways to my question. I've read the CD-Writing FAQ and followed the
suggestions to make my CDRW drive to work. It is now not loading as an ide
drive like it's supposed to. However it's still not being recognized as a
SCSI drive and cdrecord -scanbus doesn't recognize it (it just lists my zip
drive). I tried to mount /dev/scd0 but it's not recognized if I mount
/dev/hdc it just mounts it as an ide drive (even though it's ignored when
XCdroast shows my ide drives). So XCDRoast doesn't show it as either SCSI or
IDE. This problem is driving me nuts. I even put in (I forgot the exact
command - so this may not be right but under Linux I have it right)
"ide-scsi=ignore hdc" (without quotes) in lilo.conf. By the way I just
figured out how to run my old zip properly (it doesn't get autodetected upon
installation). If somebody out there has an old parallel port zip drive they
can't get to work. Try - "modprobe -sg"  and then try "modprobe -ppa" then
you will be able to (assuming you are running RedHat 6.0) mount /dev/sda4.
Oh I'm writing this from Windows because that's the only OS the free
Internet providers will support. Although I heard dotnow will be supporting
Linux soon.

                                 TIA,
                                      Norma