[techtalk] Building ADSL - LAN

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Wed Oct 6 18:44:58 EST 1999

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Just This Girl wrote:

> (Internet) <-> (Alcatel 1000) <-> (Eth0 <-> Eth1) <~> (Windows)

> I am running Slackware 4.0 on the Linux box. I want to be able to run a
> web server and a MUSH off of the box, so using private network numbers
> is not an option, except possibly between Eth1 and Windows. Since this
> list is publically archived, I have used xxx for the first three octets
> for my own security. I -do- plan to firewall, but that is an issue I
> will tackle once I already have the lan connected. I did find a site
> very helpful in generating the firewall I needed: http://www.swbell.net/
>
> I have a /28, with xxx.xxx.xxx.241-245 available to me, a netmask of
> 255.255.255.248, and the gateway given me by the ISP is xxx.xxx.xxx.246

> If there is anyone who has used this sort of setup or knows where a
> guide is on it out there in Internet Land, I would appreciate the
> assistance. I went and bought the Linux Network Administrators' Guide
> from O'Reilly, but to my horror discovered that it hasn't been updated
> since 1995!!!

well, one way to do it is to have eth0 be the only one to go to the .246
gateway, and have the IP of eth1 be the gateway for everything else, and
have it route from one to the other in the linux box. It's kind of a
kludge, but it can work.

Alternately, you can see about asking your ISP if you can set up your own
router (the linux machine) and have them give you an IP at their end that
you can route *to*.

As for firewalling, check out http://ipchains.nerdherd.org

I will be setting up something similar in a few weeks when our SDSL gets
hooked up.

-Ian

--
<cosmo> wow, this is kinda nifty. the win98 protocol stack is
like a chinese finger puzzle, twist and turn in the right places,