[techtalk] Configuring serial ports (no /dev/ttyS2?)

Michelle Leonard leonard at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 4 21:07:12 EST 1999

I've used unix for many years (SGI&SUN), but am new to linux and
hardware configuration...and now I'm stuck..

I ran into this obstacle while trying to configure my modem.
I have a ISA Zoom modem, which is working in windoze, on COM3, IRQ 10.
When running linux, I can only see /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 (with the
statserial command).  statserial /dev/ttyS2 gives me
TIOCMGET failed! Input/output error
so I tried setserial to change the IRQ to 10, resulting in
/dev/ttyS2, UART unknown, 0x03e8 IRQ 10
statserial still gives TIOCMGET failed! Input/output error

what do I do now?  What am I missing?

TIA,
Michelle