[techtalk] ftp only shell for users...

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sat Nov 27 01:26:33 EST 1999

Alain Toussaint wrote:

> Hello,
>         we will be changing the ftp server at ftp.cyber-horizons.com to proftpd
> (latest stable version) and i would like to know if it's possible to have a
> shell which is restricted to ftp only (presently,every users not having his
> personnal page get /bin/false for shell) ??
>
> Thanks in advance.

/bin/false works well. It's the default solution that I know of.

If you really want to do it some other way, you might try writing a
script or program to act as their shell - but DO try to think of every
way someone might call up a shell within the script, and trap for them!

Jenn V.
--
  Humans are the only species to feed and house entirely separate species
     for no reason other than the pleasure of their company. Why?

jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman        http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/