[techtalk] Tar file splitting

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Wed Nov 17 21:48:20 EST 1999

Xavier Gutierrez Munoz wrote:

> Sorry for asking such a newbie's question but I don't know how to split a
> tar file to fit a set of floppies. I just want to get my october's read
> mail out of the server via ftp but I want to pack and compress it before I
> do that.
>
> Alternative is downloading it and compressing later using WINZIP
> (aaaargh!). This is 'cuz I connect to my server (Debian Linux) from
> Faculty (Windows 98).

Hrm. I don't know how to do it either, but my initial 'grunt'
solution (ie, first thing that comes to mind) is
	head -[whatever] [tarfile] > [storefile]

(See 'man head' for more information on what head does - basically,
I'm proposing the 'take the first however-many-bytes and shove them
into a storagefile' solution.)

There has to be a more elegant way.

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn