[techtalk] bind problem...and a sendmail one, too

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Mon Nov 15 01:05:25 EST 1999

> hmm... no EADDRINUSE or 98 in the whole file
> this is what happens (well an example, the ESPIPE eror is constant):
> 15242 _llseek(0x5, 0, 0, 0xbffff76c, 0x1) = -1 ESPIPE (Illegal seek)
> 15242 read(5, "bind: Address already in use\n", 4096) = 29

Are you sure you did the -f on strace?  Because you should have seen the write
corresponding to that read since that message should have come from a child.

If the write is there and you just left it out, then that's where you start
looking.  You see what might have prompted the error, what file descriptor it
involved, and what the history of the file descriptor is.

If you want, send me a hunk of that strace output, like from one of those
reads to the next, and I'll see what I can see in it.

				Jeff