[techtalk] resolution

Darren Osadchuk osadchuk at pangea.ca
Sat Nov 13 09:15:59 EST 1999

I had this problem just this week, actually (and still sorta have it).
There's a program called xvidtune that's included with xfree86 that can
help tweak the modeline settings in XF86Config (I can't remember offhand
where it gets placed, sorry). I don't know if it'll be able to fix a
problem like that, though -- I found it more useful to remove the modelines
for resolutions I knew I didn't want as a first step (my monitor seems to
think that it can do a higher resolution than it can actually do, which was
causing part of the problem). After doing that, I actually found out that
the settings for 1024x768 worked for my monitor.

There are some problems that xvidtune doesn't seem to solve, though. If I
switch to 800x600 or 640x480, the screen bows out towards the left and
right edges, and it looks like this requires more fiddling than can be
accomplished with xvidtune. The XFree86 Video Timings How To was quite
helpful in explaining what all those numbers in the modelines mean.

My lingering question is: how do you get rid of the virtual desktop? I was
able to remove it for the 1024x768 resolution by removing any reference in
XF86Config to higher resolutions. But there's still a (1024x768) virtual
desktop if I switch to 800x600.

>Hi all--
>
>This is a most basic question..but there are so many basic things I am not
sure
>how to do....that I'd better start asking!!
>
>I ran xf86config because i wanted to get a higher screen res..i'm
currently at
>1024x768, and want more real estate.
>
>Anyway...let me just say that it is a good thing that I saved the original
file
>before over-writing, because what i ended up with was the upper left 1/4
of my
>xlogin screen now taking up the entire monitor...
>
>So...is there an easier way than running through that entire config again?
>also..i've run xsetres on solaris before, but didn't seem to be able to find
>anything similar on my system (redhat)
>
>Apologies for the basic question...thanks all for your time :)
>
>kristin--thank God for backups!!

>techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org

osadchuk at pangea.ca                             http://www.pangea.ca/~osadchuk/

"If nations can behave like individuals, he was an individual who behaved
 like a nation: enduring decades of edgy submissiveness, then bursting
 into revolt, eager for fresh rhetoric and a renewed image of himself."