[techtalk] GPL Questions

Stephan Zaniolo eaglefeather at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 11 23:25:23 EST 1999

At 03:09 AM 11/12/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Um. How do you simultaneously use function calls to a piece of code and
>not use that code?

	I mean no GPLed source code would be embedded in the proprietary code.  I
was thinking something similar to the Windows API. (Sorry for the analogy,
but I've been taught how to program in Windows not Linux...yet.)  I would
publish a list of function calls to the servlet(s) and what they did and
how to use them (This would be in addition to publishing the source code).
But I could write a proprietary program for GNOME using the GNOME API
(assuming there is one), right?  Or am I missing something?

>Code libraries /are/ code.
>
>OTOH, I don't /think/ there's a problem with the author of GPLed software
>releasing both a GPL and a nonGPL version - but THAT one should be checked
>with the lawyers!
>

>Jenn V.

	The idea was to be running the servlet(s) and database off our own server
and allow others to write interfaces for the data input and maybe output.
I'm not sure if the others would GPL their code or not, so I'm assuming
they won't and I don't want to force them into it if they don't want to.
(The open sourcing of the code is more for peer review, security checking,
and showing the third parties what we've done and how, rather than for
distribution of the software and I'd rather not be dealing with two
versions of the system for simplicity-sake.  Of course, I don't want anyone
to steal our work and make it proprietary which is why I'm looking at the
GPL.  Does this clarify things?)

Thanks in advance,
Stephan