[techtalk] more netscape woes...

Cathy James cjames at opensite.com
Thu Nov 11 17:12:38 EST 1999

>Mmmkay,

>./usr/lib/netscape/java/classes/java40.jar
>./usr/lib/netscape/java/classes.old/java40.jar
>find: ./proc/5/fd: Permission denied

>Sweet. :o)

>WHERE do I edit "CLASSPATH"? It's gotta be something
>netscape/java-internal, if I echo $CLASSPATH I get nothin.

	Just edit it in your .login or .cshrc.  Add a line like:

setenv CLASSPATH $CLASSPATH:<the path to java40.jar here>

or if that doesn't work for any reason, since you *know*
what your CLASSPATH is set to, just do a

setenv CLASSPATH <the other paths in your earlier post>:<path to java40.jar>

This assumes you are running a csh variant; if you're running
a sh variant, the syntax will be slightly different.

	If you look in some of the setup scripts run at boot time,
or (more likely) in the root cshrc/login scripts that are common
to all users, you'll probably find that that's where CLASSPATH
is "really" set, and editing it there would be the ideal solution.

	This probably isn't the "official" solution intended
by the installer, but it should work. :-)

	--Cathy