[techtalk] netscape woes

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 9 17:19:02 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 9-Nov-99 [techtalk] netscape woes by Shahla
Bright at yahoo.com
> Can anyone suggest advice or diagnostic tricks? Should
> I ditch Gnome/Enlightenment? Go back to an older
> Netscape?

What bit depth are you running in?  X programs running in 24 or 32 bit
color mode can occasionally use ridiculous amounts of memory.  However,
this will show up in the X server's memory usage, not netscape's.  Have
you looked at how much memory netscape and X are using?  Have you looked
at the difference in memory usage of X/Gnome/E while running and not
running netscape?  Have you tried not running Gnome | E?

FWIW, I'm running slackware on a P200 with 32M of RAM, fvwm, no desktop
environment, 8 bit color.  netscape 4.5 with 5 windows open uses
approximately 15 M of ram.