[techtalk] pppd problems, redhat 6.0

sara korhonen ceres at intter.net
Sun Nov 7 13:01:15 EST 1999

> Um, we got the last bit figured out.. however, we still can't get it to
> connect:  the modem initialization strings never receive an OK.  So it
> waits 30 seconds, then fails.  We know this is really weird.  (And when I
> use kppp, the string ATZ receives an OK, and in minicom, some long AT
> string gets OK too.  It doesn't make any sense...
>
> Ben suggests it may not even be reaching the modem.  Other programs do
> reach it, so there probably isn't some glaring configuration error...
> it's the ones that aren't obvious that get you...

i use minicom mostly to connect to internet via my modem (i like to do things
manually to be sure that they are really going as i want them to), and to get
open a ppp-connect, one should use (at leasti this is what i believe) pppd.
minicom sets up a connection, but only a terminal.

i'm not sure if you ever got to the point where it asks you username and passw
with minicom. anyway, what happens after atdt<your isp number>? what does your
minicom say?