[prog] Learn Code the Hard Way - RegEx

Sam Watkins sam at nipl.net
Thu Dec 15 07:56:31 UTC 2011

Linda Knapp wrote:
> I'm woefully deficient in my understanding of regular expressions. In order
> to start fixing this I'm going to be going through the RegEx lessons on
> learncodethehardway.com.

I'd like to suggest learning 'structured regular expressions' such as
used in lex / yacc (or flex / bison).  They build complex expressions
from simpler named expressions.  Sed / perl regular expressions are
seldom constructed from smaller components like this, although it's
quite possible to do it in perl at least.

Sam